Friday, November 26, 2010

End of Fall Update

Does anyone even read this blog anymore? I hope so. Otherwise, I guess I'm only posting this update to serve my own ego.

Anyway, a few weeks ago we wrapped up our abbreviated fall work schedule on the cabin. We had originally hoped to do quite a bit of work this fall term, like installing windows and a door, closing in the gable ends, and putting the woodstove and the stovepipe in. However, classes and cold weather got the best of us, and we're now all wrapped up for the winter.

We were able to get all of the fancy trim up on the roof and start to frame the gable ends. We also finished putting up the joists that will support the loft. We also used the safety boat to transport all of the scaffolding and power equipment back to Hanover for storage, which isn't as cool as finishing the loft, but is just as necessary.

Overall, a moderately productive season. We'll be selecting and ordering windows very soon, and work will commence again in the spring. I finish my B.E. degree at the end of winter term, so assuming I don't get a full-time job that requires I start in March, I'll be spending spring term finishing the cabin. I'm not sure who will be around - some of our original crew (Kate, Max, Lucas) seem to have left Hanover semi-permanently, which is unacceptable.

Here is the best picture of the cabin itself at this point:


and here is a picture of the crew enjoying the first celebratory beverage in the newly-completed loft:

1 comment: